Monday, June 6, 2011

Welcome to MATHLAND :)

Word Problem Phobia

http://www.pleacher.com/mp/mhumor/sguide.html
I found this "Guide to Problem Solving" to be the perfect depiction of a student's attempt to avoid reading math at all costs. Although humorous, this sort of approach happens all too often. So, I think that sharing this site to my class would be a great way to open a lesson plan (particularly in an algebra class). By showing the humor in avoiding word problems, I feel as though I will be able to get my students to realize the error of their ways, and thus shy away from this misconception of word problems being "evil". Which would then make them more apt to excel when faced with these types of problems.

Extra Credit/Fun Day

http://www.websudoku.com/
Everybody needs a break every now and then, but what if we as teachers can still teach even during these rest periods? Our brains never turn off, and that's why I love the idea of exercising the brains of my students, even during what seems to be a rest period. By introducing Sudoku as a low key activity, perhaps even extra credit, I can give my students a fun break while still building their logic and problem solving skills.

Real Life Application

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_17.htm
I think it is important to go beyond the standard spectrum of learning and dive into the more theoretical as well. This activity is mostly geared towards those students who are in geometry, because of it's relevance in the course content. Rather than just telling my class what the golden ratio is and watching a room full of blank stares look back at me, I thought that showing them applications of this concept would be better. This website is a fun and educational way to show my students how the "beauty" of math exists throughout nature, and is everywhere in our day to day lives.

3 comments:

  1. Christina,

    What does your statement: "I love the idea of exercising the brains of my students, even during what seems to be a rest period" demonstrate about your beliefs about how people learn?

    GNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. GNA,

    What I meant was that we are constantly taking in information, even in everyday tasks. This great mass of information we acquire gets filtered and processed into ideas over time. So, in this respect I thought that "exercising the brains of my students" through a relaxing activity was a great way to subconsciously teach them a form of logically problem solving. The main personal belief that this embodies is that people learn many things subconsciously, and I wanted to promote the acquisition of logical thinking in this same fashion.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Metaphor: The brain is a muscle and teachers are the fitness coaches?

    ReplyDelete