Wednesday, June 8, 2011

*Reading Questions/Student Teaching Technologies*

The first difference that is evident is the fact that the Internet Project is the only instructional model that has different types; Web-based and Spontaneous. Another key difference I found was the fact that Internet Inquiry is the only instructional model with different phases. Similarities include the fact that Internet Workshop, Internet Project, and Internet Inquiry all have set steps attached to them. Also, Web-based Internet Projects and WebQuest both have clearcut directions attached to the Project.

Upon discussion with my cooperating teacher, I began thinking of how I could tie these knew ideas of technology into my future classroom. The main technological component of my cooperating teacher's current classroom is the integration of a SmartBoard into her curriculum. Computers and internet are also used in her classroom, mainly in her Calculus classes. So, seeing her openness to technology, and the fact that I'll be teaching these same Calculus classes in the Fall, I assume that I will be able to utilize these same technologies to supplement my unit plans. Besides Calculus, I'll also be teaching Statistics. So, I think that some of these Instructional Models, which I discussed above, could be useful classroom activities in this subject matter. Also, I must say that I feel very lucky, as well as excited, to have a cooperating teacher whose classroom is so technologically advanced. This gives me an added push to enhance my technological skills so as to meet her expectations, as well as my own personal expectations of myself.

2 comments:

  1. Your similarities are somewhat superficial. One could argue that all of the models have "steps" to them and all - except perhaps the inquiry have clear cut directions. And while there are two types of Internet Projects - one could also argue that there is variation in Internet Workshops, WebQuests, and Inquiry models...

    I think you were attempting to make a connection to your classroom through mention of the SMARTBoard in your Calculus classes.. but how would implementing an instructional model be helpful? What is an example of a practical lesson that you could implement with the Workshop, for example? Would you be teaching a new concept? Reviewing a concept?

    Remember to include APA citations/references in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In learning about the 4 most powerful instructional models using the internet, I found that they all share the same idea. In all of the models, you are using certain websites to help students make a connection to a topic from class. Through them, the students learn new facts and details which may not have been touched upon otherwise. The models are formulated in a way which leads the children to conclusions on their own, rather than just telling them facts. This then helps the newly acquired material "stick" better in their minds.

    The construction of the models are all different though. For example, Internet Workshop is a more cut and dry type of model where the teacher asks questions and gives the students a specific website to explore the topic and form answers. While, Internet Inquiry is more independent. In this model, students are given freedom in choosing a topic of their choice, related to class of course. Then they are allowed to search the internet on their own to find websites that help them learn about their chosen topic. From these websites they then form their own summary on what they found to be important in the topic.

    Thus, depending on the goal of the teacher, different models are more useful than others.

    Upon discussion with my cooperating teacher, I began thinking of how I could tie these knew ideas of technology into my future classroom. The main technological component of my cooperating teacher's current classroom is the integration of a SmartBoard into her curriculum. Computers and internet are also used in her classroom, mainly in her Calculus classes. So, seeing her openness to technology, and the fact that I'll be teaching these same Calculus classes in the Fall, I assume that I will be able to utilize these same technologies to supplement my unit plans. So, I think that some of these Instructional Models, which I discussed above, could be useful classroom activities in this subject matter. For example, I think that it would be a good learning activity for students in my Calculus class to do an Internet Inquiry. In Calculus questions tend to arise as to the point of what is being taught. So, I think that giving the students freedom to explore different areas of Calculus and finding common applications of it would be a great way to teach relevance of the material without "preaching" to them. Thus, I'd plan an Internet Inquiry on Calculus Applications and give them the choice to learn about an application that appeals to them.


    Leu, D. (2002). Canter Video Links. Retrieved from http://ctell.uconn.edu/canter/canter_video.cfm?movie=234_introduction.mov

    ReplyDelete