Tuesday, June 14, 2011

~T2P Week 3~

*If...Then...Because...
If you use Bloom's taxonomy to formulate questions which you ask your students, then you are better able to model for them the different steps of comprehension with respect to the classroom lessons. This is because of the nature in which the questions progressively grow from factual answers into more depth analysis of the material.

*Theory to Practice*
In the beginning of class we were prompted to complete the "R2SQC2" exercise based on the readings for the week. The exercise was a great way to get students to remember and reflect, not only on what the reading was on but also on what it's purpose was. The breaking up of the material into:

-Recall
-Rank
-Summarize
-Question
-Connect
-Comment

was a great warm-up to exercise our brains. Because the steps progressively required more and more in depth thought, rather than just jumping right to the point, I think that it facilitated better results. Personally, I don't know if I would have been able to simply comment on what I thought to be most applicable to my future classroom from the week's reading. However, by slowing setting me up for this last step, I was much more confident in my response.

This was a very useful exercise in my opinion, and I would love to utilize it in my future classrooms. In particular, I would use this to see where my students are in comprehension of the mathematical unit being covered in class. I'd conduct this activity several times throughout the unit so as to evaluate the extent to which the material is reaching my students. Then, I'd be better informed on what I need to revisit content-wise as well as conceptually. In particular, the Question portion of the R2SQC2 i feel would be especially helpful in establishing where my students are having the most trouble in respect to content being taught.

2 comments:

  1. Christina,

    There's that brain as muscle metaphor again!

    Clearly by your analysis, the assessment we did in class last week has the potential for you to adopt--excellent.

    Formulate a T2P statement addressing your speculation related to using this assessment to promote optimal content learning.

    GNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you start class of with a question-based activity like R2SQC2, based on the previous day's content, then you can promote a learning environment that is cohesive from day to day. By doing this, students are better able to make connections between the separate lessons, and to see how the lessons build upon themselves to form a bigger picture. Also, because you are questioning your students, not giving them answers, they are deriving these connections on their own. This also gets the mind of each students to function with respect to your class.

    ReplyDelete